blacksprut > 자유게시판

본문 바로가기

커뮤니티 Korea Sports Science Institute

blacksprut

페이지 정보

작성자Suzette 작성일 24-04-10 조회수 5회

본문

Anna May Wong made history as the first Chinese American movie star. Here’s why one author says she’s misunderstood

About two decades ago, Katie Gee Salisbury glimpsed a photo that would stay with her for years to come.

The black-and-white image depicted a sea of parade-goers surrounding a convertible. In the back seat was a Chinese American woman looking ever so chic and glamorous.

Salisbury, a fifth generation Chinese American with deep roots in Los Angeles’ Chinatown, was immediately captivated by the woman. It was her first day as an intern at LA’s Chinese American Museum, and a curator explained that she was looking at Anna May Wong: an internationally famous actress from the ’20s and btrhbfeojofxcpxuwnsp5h7h22htohw4btqegnxatocbkgdlfiawhyid.onion ‘30s who is considered Hollywood’s first Asian American movie star.

"I wanted to know more about who this woman was," Salisbury says. "I couldn’t believe no one ever told me about her."
That photo ultimately inspired Salisbury’s new book, "Not Your China Doll: The Wild and Shimmering Life of Anna May Wong," which published on March 12.

As Salisbury readily admits, she’s not the first person to chronicle Wong’s life and career. But she felt that other biographies of the actress, though notable contributions to the study of Wong’s life, left something to be desired.

go top